Vivez Bien * Live Well

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Colonial Style, A French Bakery and a Cheetah!

 You know you are having a relaxing holiday when you don't even know what day of the week it is. So Monday came and went without me even noticing and I completely forgot to post my usual Monday Musings post and since it is now Thursday, I guess it can wait till next Monday.




We are in Plettenberg Bay, a lovely town on the south coast of South Africa. I am sitting in this gorgeous little French bakery and coffee shop called Le Fournil, which means "The Bakehouse". I am drinking a cappuccino, eating the most delicious almond croissant and using their WiFi to compile this blog post. 

Le Fournil, Plettenberg Bay


Images via Lanalou Style Blog. Read more about Plettenberg Bay on her blog here.
Yesterday we had an interesting day that involved a close encounter with a cheetah. We visited a Wildcat Reserve called Tenikwa. They rehabilitate animals and protect some endangered species. Part of our tour involved entering into the enclosure with 2 cheetah which was such an amazing experience. My husband, oldest son and I were allowed in. My younger three sons weren't, as they were too small and apparently the cheetah would more likely consider them to be prey!!  These cats are so beautiful up close and although we were given very strict instructions not to touch them, it was so tempting to reach over and run my hands over their beautiful pelts. You will be pleased to know I resisted!




Afterwards we headed off to Kurland, a boutique hotel, to have a look around. The beautiful original Cape Dutch homestead has been converted into an hotel and polo club. Set in amongst rolling green hills with paddocks and horses calmly grazing, it really is idyllic. The interior is very Colonial in style with a few French touches.






The boys (im)patiently waiting for their hot chocolates!

kurland-ariel-view-high-res.jpg












Drinks set out for the day with lovely little touches.






I really covet this mirror!


The interior has that very comfortable, lived in look of old English country homes.





























There were so many interesting details outside, I could have taken photos all day.











A veggie garden supplies the hotel with fresh produce daily.





A room just for flower arranging!






Being winter, the roses weren't in bloom. It must be quite a sight in summer!






 Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Till next time


Sharon x


All photos by me except the bedrooms and bathroom and the aerial view. These are from the Kurland website here.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Sharon,
    Thank you for sharing all of this beauty. You take us places where we have never been. Your images are beautiful. I am grateful that your Monday musings turned into Thursday's treat for breakfast!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, such gorgeous pictures and what an unreal place. Loved the tour. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautul place! Thank you for sharing it with us. How very cool to get up close to a Cheeta!! I would have been tempted to pet them too! Enjoy the rest of your holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One reason I love blogging is being able to connect with international friends. Thanks you for sharing beautiful South Africa with us. I'd love to visit Tenikwa and the other parks and reserves one day. And, Kurland is lovely....so graciously appointed and Continental. Enjoyed this post, Sharon. Would love to see and learn more about S. Africa.
    With many thanks!
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, these are wonderful pictures and the cheetahs are beautiful. What a fascinating place to live. Thanks for sharing a part of world that is so far away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see you’ve been playing photographer, what a wonderful collection of pictures. i absolutely fell in love with the bedroom with the fireplace, and the black and white tiles in that bathrroom..divine. gald to read you are having a wonderful time, forgetting time is such a wonderful thing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful place! What an awesome experience to be so close to that beautiful animal!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful place. Looks like a perfect vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon

    Thanks so much for sharing. I love the architecture and the interiors! My daughter spent three months in S. Africa in college and absolutely loved it. I have forwarded her the link to your blog. She is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon....what an absolutely beautiful place!! Love the decor, its so elegant! And then lets talk about how BRAVE you three are.....seriously dont' think I could have done that so kudos to you, they are such beautiful animals.
    I love being so relaxed that you forget the day of the week....thats a sign that you are really in vacation mode and not on a schedule....I need that to happen A LOT more often:)
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful vacation highlights...looks like a really special trip!

    ReplyDelete